New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Thursday the city will end its appeal of the stop-and-frisk court cases after reaching an agreement with the plaintiffs to oversee reforms of police tactics.
Last year, a judge ruled the New York Police Department discriminated against blacks and Hispanics when stopping, questioning, and sometimes frisking people on the street. The judge ordered major reforms to the department’s policy, but her ruling had been put on hold when former Mayor Michael Bloomberg appealed the decision, Gannett’s Ashley Hupfl reports.
Lawyers for the “Floyd vs. City of New York,” court case agreed the appeal will be dropped and a court-appointed monitor will oversee the NYPD’s reform of its stop-and-frisk policy for three years. The monitor will have the power to report to federal court on the NYPD’s progress.
“This is a defining moment in our history. It’s a defining moment for millions of our families, especially those with young men of color,” de Blasio said in a statement. “And it will lay the foundation for not only keeping us the safest big city in America, but making us saferstill. This will be one city, where everyone’s rights are respected, and where police and community stand together to confront violence.”
The city will now ask the Court of Appeals to remand the case to the District Court. Once it has been confirmed by the District Court, the city will immediately move to withdraw its appeal.
“We will not break the law to enforce the law. That’s my solemn promise to every New Yorker, regardless of where they are born, where they live, or what they look like,” Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said in a statement. “Those values aren’t at odds with keeping New Yorkers safe – they are essential to long-term public safety. We are committed to fulfilling our obligations under this agreement as we protect and serve this great city.”