Seven New York breweries won gold, silver and bronze medals at the Great American Beer Festival, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced yesterday.
The festival took place in Denver, Colo., where brewers from across the country participate in the beer competition. Twenty-one New York breweries participated, Gannett’s Ashley Hupfl reports.
“New York is quickly becoming the craft beer capital of the country,” Cuomo said in a statement. “This year at the renowned Great American Beer Festival, New York’s home grown craft breweries won big – bringing home gold, silver, and bronze medals in contests with brewers around the world.”
Captain Lawrence Brewery Company in Elmsford, Westchester County, won the gold medal in the “Experimental Beer” category for their 2013 “Hops n’ Roses” beer.
The Peekskill Brewery in Westchester won a silver medal in the “International-Style Pale Ale” category for their 2013 “Amazeballs” beer.
Five breweries won bronze medals in various categories including Brewery Ommegang in Otsego County in the “Belgian Style Abbey Ale” category for their 2013 “Ommegang Three Philosophers” beer.
“The Great American Beer Festival is a world class festival celebrating the best craft beer in the United States. This year, New York beer companies large and small took home seven medals, further demonstrating the quality of beer being brewed in the state,” Paul Leone, executive director of the state Brewers Association, said in a statement.
Cuomo launched Taste NY, a $60 million tourism campaign, to publicize food and beverage products made in-state. State craft beers have been highlighted at many Taste NY events throughout the state.
The full list of participating state breweries is below:
• Blue Point Brewing Co. (Patchogue)
• Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown)
• Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn)
• Captain Lawrence Brewing Company (Elmsford)
• CH Evans Brewing (Albany)
• Chelsea Brewing Company (NYC)
• Crossroads Brewing Company (Athens)
• Empire Brewing Company (Syracuse)
• Genesee Brew House (Rochester)
• Great South Bay Brewery (Bay Shore)
• Ithaca Beer Co. (Ithaca)
• Keegan Ales (Kingston)
• Magic Hat Brewing Co. (Buffalo)
• Peekskill Brewery (Peekskill)
• Port Jeff Brewing Company (Port Jefferson)
• Portland Brewing (Buffalo)
• Pyramid Breweries (Buffalo)
• Roc Brewing Co. (Rochester)
• Saranac Brewery (Utica)
• Schmaltz Brewing Co. (Clifton Park)