As part of the final budget, state lawmakers and Gov. Andrew Cuomo are working on plans to provide a $350 family tax-relief check for middle-class homeowners with children.
The rebate check, which were stopped in 2009 amid the state’s fiscal woes, would be available to homeowners with incomes between $40,000 and $300,000, legislative officials confirmed today to Gannett’s Albany Bureau.
Senate Republicans have sought the return of the rebate checks as part of a $2 billion tax relief program introduced earlier this month. The rebate checks would be part of a $700 million tax-relief package the sides are discussing. The checks could be send out as early as the first quarter of 2014.
“Middle-class families are losing ground, and it’s time to do something about it,” Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos, R-Nassau County, said at a news conference March 4.
Sen. Jeff Klein, D-Bronx, who heads the Independent Democratic Conference, has also supported the checks and tried to get the measure in the 2010-11 budget, but to no avail.
“Anyway we can put more money back in the pockets of New Yorkers is something I support,” Klein said earlier this month.
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan, has also supported the checks, which had ranged from $250 to more than $900.
The state is dealing with a $1.3 billion deficit for the 2013-14 fiscal year, which starts April 1. But the state will have additional money in the 2014-15 fiscal year when it extends higher income taxes on millionaires.
Cuomo has said that he would be open to tax breaks, but the state would need to find a way to pay for them.