The state Senate is expected to vote on a new set of chamber rules this afternoon, where the partnership between Independent Democratic Conference and Senate Republicans will likely be formalized.
The conferences released the proposed rules just after 11 p.m. Tuesday. They’re expected to be put to a vote when the Senate reconvenes today at noon.
The rules make tweaks to funding formulas—Senate Democrats would have 30 percent of central staff allocations, while the GOP/IDC partnership will get the remaining 70 percent, for example.
But the major change comes from recognizing the IDC as a permanent third conference. The breakaway caucus left the main Senate Democratic conference in 2011 and sought permanent status in order to partner with the GOP to control the chamber beginning this year.
“The Republican Conference and the Independent Democratic Conference shall together comprise the Majority Coalition,” the rules read.
Senate Democrats criticized the rules for not being more specific and spelling out exactly how the power-sharing arrangement will work. The Times Union reported the GOP and IDC will agree to a memorandum of understanding laying out the finer points of the agreement, but it has not been released.
“The rules were made available close to midnight the night before the vote and we still don’thave all the answers to how this unprecedented and unusual control agreement will work,” Senate Democratic spokesman Mike Murphy said in a statement. “The people of New York deserve clear answers and deserve to know they will get the progressive government they demanded and Senate Democratic will work to ensure that happens.”
Here are the rule proposals: